Monday, February 23, 2015

Lotus Blossom Birthday Card

My darling mother had her 80th birthday last month. She's so cute.  She told me, "...it's just that 80 sounds so old!"  Thank God she is in good health, and enjoying herself. But then, she just ought to - she moved to Arizona a year ago, and doesn't have to deal with the Michigan winters any longer (do you notice a note of jealousy there?). Mom did make a quick trip back here in December though for my niece's wedding - and she complained about the cold!! LOL - but I don't blame her.
Mom & me at the Wedding Reception in December 2014.

I probably don't have to tell you how much I miss her. We'd never lived more than three hours apart, so this is quite different, and kind of hard for us. Mom is used to getting hand made cards from me and my sister Heather, so I wanted to do something special for her birthday card this year. 

I decided to use a stamp set in the Stampin' Up! Sale-a-bration catalog (check it out in the right side bar). The set is Lotus Blossom, and is a 3-step stamp. Her favorite color is pink, so that's how I chose the colors I used. Here's the card........
I layered Pink Pirouette, Rose Red and Whisper White card stock. I sponged Rose Red ink onto Glimmer Paper (gotta have some bling), and added Rhinestone Basic Jewels for a little more bling. I used Pink Pirouette, Rose Red & Strawberry Slush ink for the flower, and Old Olive & Pear Pizzazz ink for the stem.
Close up of the Glimmer Paper & Rhinestones
I try to always make at least two cards - either the same, or very close, so here is the other one.....
I used sequins on this one from the 2013-2015 In Color Sequin Assortment pack (better order these before they retire in a couple months).
Here's a close up of the sequins.
The two cards are very similar, but each a little different.
I liked this card so much that I decided to make these as my swaps for the Leadership Conference.........but forgot them.  So, while I was at my Upline's house the night before we flew to Orlando, I whipped up a few in a different color scheme..................
The lighting on this isn't the best, but I used Wisteria Wonder & Elegant Eggplant card stock & inks as a variation. Instead of using three different ink colors, I just "stamped off" the Elegant Eggplant to make a lighter third color. 

I really love this stamp set because each and every flower you make is unique - no two look exactly alike.

Thanks for stopping by again.  

Hugs, Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment