Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Easy to Make Luminary

While at Camp One Way, one of my sister demonstrators showed us how easy it is to make these cute table top decorations.  Here is the first one I made, following her instructions.  I'm showing both sides.  I had a LOT of retired Halloween product, so decided to use them on my "practice run".  I think it turned out really cute.



If you'd like to try one yourself, keep reading.  I have step-by-step instructions below.  Please note that I've used Real Red Cardstock in the illustrations; I plan to make a "Christmas" luminary, which I will show you in a later post.

1.  Cut a piece of cardstock to 9" x 12".  You need to use cardstock for the weight because paper will not hold the shape when completed.  On the short side (the 9" side), score at 4 1/2".   I've placed the marker at the 4 1/2" mark.


2.  On the long side, score at 3", 6", and 9".  You hopefully can see that I've also indicated these measurements with the little markers.


3.  Fold on all the score lines - really well.  You will be glad you did as you proceed with your project.  I use my trusty bone folder for this step.


4.  Fold "hamburger" style, and while folded,  cut on the center score line from the fold to the fold line in the middle.





5.  Unfold, then refold "hotdog" style.  See the hole that you created with your cut?


6.  Using a 2 1/2" circle punch, punch in each of the four center sections.  If you slide your punch all the way, it will be in the perfect spot.  I always turn my punch over so that I can see exactly where the hole is going to be; it makes for easier centering, I think.  I'm sure you'll come up with something to use those 2 1/2" circles for......don't want to waste them!  Your luminary is starting to take shape now.








7.  Cut four squares out of vellum, 2 7/8" x 2 7/8", and glue them over the cut out circles on what will be the inside of your luminary.  I used the a glue stick by Stampin' Up! (Mine is an old one; the label on the new one looks different.)  **See note below**



8.  Make sure the glue around the vellum is dry, then glue the two short sides together, and fold your luminary.  If you "push" the two sides together slightly, it will help open up the center section.



9.  The next step is to decorate your luminary any way you want to!!  Pretty easy, huh?



10.  Place one of those little battery operated tea candles inside your luminary to get the effect of a candle (without burning your project up!).  I found these babies at the Dollar Tree - 2/$1.00.  Gotta love the dollar stores.


**Note**
I stamped on my vellum squares with Staz-on ink before gluing them onto the luminary.  It just gives another aspect of fun!!

I hope you try this project. It's fun & easy, and can be made for any holiday or occasion.  I'll list the supplies that I used for the instructions below; all Stampin' Up! products.  

Stampin' Trimmer  #126889
Simply Scored Scoring Tool (stylus & place markers included)  #122334
Bone Folder  #102300
2 1/2" Circle Punch  #120906
Craft Scissors  #108360
Stampin' Glue Sticks  #130654
Real Red Cardstock  #102482
White Vellum  #101856

Thanks for stopping by.......

Hugs, 
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment