Monday, January 13, 2014

January 2014 - Unforgettable!!

This month has started out in a flurry!…….and I mean that in a couple of ways.  First of all we, like so many others in the country, we were caught in the "polar votex" - or snowmageddon, as my cousin called it.  It just didn't want to stop snowing, and it was SO cold that it was a challenge to even go outside.  My hubby and I would take turns getting the mail.


The weather did inspire me though to make a huge pot of chili and homemade soup….yummy.  Those are great lunch or dinner choices when the wind is howling, and the snow is flying.  I also worked on projects for my Stamp Class - which we ended up rescheduling due to the weather!  I just didn't want my ladies to risk life and limb coming out - even if it was for stamping.  Here are the samples I made up for the class.  I call them "prototypes", and often use retired products in making them (in case they don't turn out the way I want).  Then for classes or parties, I substitute the retired supplies for current Stampin' Up products - that way, any item used can still be purchased. 

It seems like we always need "all occasion" cards, so the projects were Birthday, Get Well and Sympathy.  Sadly I have had to send too many of the last category recently, and I think some of my class participants have also, because this was requested by a couple of the ladies.  

I saw the style for the Happy Birthday card on several different blogs, switched it around a little, and made a couple of my own changes.  I often draw inspiration from others - there is so much talent out there in the crafting world.  

Supplies:  Whisper White and Basic Black card stock, DSP, 
Chevron Embossing Folder, Apothecary Accents Frame Lit

This Get Well card and matching envelope, I pretty much copied from StampinGinger.com.  I love how simple it was to make.  Two items used for this project are a must have, if you haven't gotten them already; the Envelope Punch Board, and the Fresh Prints Designer Series Paper Stack from the new Occasion catalog.  The stamp set is also very versatile and can be used for several different holidays/occasions.  It also coordinates with the Chalk Talk Framelits Die.   

Supplies: Whisper White, Real Red & Crumb Cake card stock, DSP, 
Tag It stamp set, Decorative Label Punch, and the Envelope Punch Board

The stamp set for the first Sympathy card has been around since before I started with Stampin' Up!, and is a real classic.  It took me several years to purchase it though because I kept it expecting it to retire - but it's still going strong.  I wanted to make a card that could be masculine, and came across a one from years ago by Kim, on therobbsbloggingalong.blogspot.com.  This could be used for a Thank You or Birthday card for a guy also just by changing the inscription. 

Supplies:  Early Espresso, Whisper White, Marina Mist & Always Artichoke card stock, 
Lovely As a Tree and Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp sets 

I think the last Sympathy card is so elegant, and my favorite one - also it is very easy to make.  I found this flocked Designer Series Paper in my stash (it's retired unfortunately), and thought it added just the right touch.  Any DSP could be used though.  The ribbon slide is also retired, but a button or brad could be easily substituted.

Supplies: Whisper White & Basic Black card stock, 
Lovely Thoughts stamp set, 1/8" Black Taffeta Ribbon

So that catches you up part way on what I've been doing so far this month.  Wait until you hear what I'm up to right now!  It is fun, relaxing - and I'm in a sunny place!  It's also the second reason why this month has started off in a flurry. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment